I’ve been compiling a list of famous cats for my Pet Numerology website for some time now. I know which my favorites are, but I wondered which are the most famous overall. There are so many great famous cats that I’m doing this in four groups, and then I’ll do a final round with the top cats from those groups.
The most famous cats (based on online chatter) with names starting with the letter Se to Z are:
10. Willie, who was George Burns’ cat
9. Skylar, from PC Cast and Kristin Cast’s “House of Night” novels
8. Si, from the Disney animated movie “Lady and the Tramp”
7. Toonces (the Driving Cat), from Saturday Night Live
6. Yum Yum, from Lilian Jackson Braun’s “The Cat Who…” mystery novel series
5. Spot, Data’s cat on Star Trek the Next Generation
4. Socks, the Clinton family cat during the Presidency of Bill Clinton
3. Tigger from A. A. Milne’s Winnie The Pooh
2. Sylvester from the classic Looney Tunes cartoons
…and the most famous cat on this list is…
1. Snowball, the Simpsons family cat from the animated series the Simpsons
Cats not ranking in the top 10 were Tonto from the movie Harry and Tonto, Sebastian from the animated series Josie and the Pussycats, Tabby who was Abraham Lincoln’s cat, Sid from the Ziggy comic strip, Willamena who was Charles Dickens’ cat, Sybil and Wilberforce who were both British Chief Mousers, and Tiddles who famously lived in London’s Paddington Station.
So a nice mix of cats from television (Snowball, Toonces, Spot) books (Tigger, Yum Yum, Skylar), animation (Snowball, Sylvester, Si), and even real life (Socks and Willie). This may be the first time two real life cats made it into the top 10, as cats who are famous for who they live with don’t usually score as well as cats famous for being beloved characters.
I compiled this list by searching for the names listed on a number of search engines and ranking them by the number of web pages, discussion forums, photos, videos, etc that are available online.